1- watch the short video:
2- Read the articles and the chapter:
– Gun Violence Policy Lecture Transcript
– Santaella-Tenorio et al (2016)
3- Answer the discussion questions.
4- Reply to two other threads.
Note; You must start a thread before you can read and reply to other threads. No citations as its a discussion.
For this assignment you are going to focus on a gun violence problem (e.g., accidental shootings of children, suicide by middle-aged men, homicide involving young black men, mass shootings triggered by mental illness, etc.) of your choosing. I would encourage you to select an issue of interest and/or something that can be measured or quantified, at least in part, using the materials from class on 4/1. You will then use the article you read for last class (Santaella-Tenorio et. al., 2016) and/or the following Rand Corporation reports to select a policy response that you believe is best suited to address that gun violence problem.
What Science Tells Us About the Effects of Gun Policies *linked
Gun Policy Research Summary *linked
In your discussion post, please respond to the following questions.
1. Describe the gun violence problem that you have selected. Why is this issue of interest or why is it deserving of a policy response? What do we know about the nature or causes of this specific gun violence problem?
2. In your view, what policy response(s) hold the most promise for addressing this gun violence problem? What specific research did you identify from the reading assignment or Rand reports that would support this policy option?
3. What challenges or obstacles might stand in the way of the development and effective implementation of this policy or policies?
You must start a thread before you can read and reply to other threads