Locate and read a document relating to U.S. History written during the period 1865-1980. This can be a public or government document, a published newspaper, periodical or book (or chapter or article from a book or paper), a privately written document (letter, diary, etc), even a work of fiction. Just make sure that it was actually written during the period you are focusing on (a letter from a World War II soldier to his family at home would be acceptable; a book about World War II written in 1998 would not).
Write a brief (4-5 typewritten pages, double spaced minimum) description and analysis about what you have read. Be sure to address the following questions:
1) Who wrote it?
2) When was it written and/or published?
3) Where was it written and/or published?
4) Who was the intended audience?
5) What does it tell you about the time, place, circumstances, etc. in which it was written?
6) How is it different and/or similar to something you might read today?
There is no required “format” for this short paper; just make sure to proofread for spelling and grammar. This is a college level paper and points will be deducted for sloppy work.