- Identify the use of tone, word choice, word order, and images in a poem
- Describe how these concepts help to define the meanings and themes that are generated by the poem
1. Choose one of the following four poems:
o Sharon Olds “Last Night”
o John Keats “Ode to a Grecian Urn”
o Gwendolyn Brooks “We Real Cool”
o Louis Simpson “In the Suburbs”
2. Describe the overall tone, the feeling you get, from the poem. Then choose a couple of words or phrases in the poem that you feel help to create that feeling, that tone, and describe why, or how, they are able to create that tone.
3. describe an image from one of the above poems. Tell us the effect that the image had on you, as well as how the poet presents the image.