Each student is required to complete an 8-10 page research paper on a current issue facing law enforcement leaders, utilizing at least 8 scholarly references, and written in APA Style. The paper should have 8-10 pages of content, not including the title page, abstract, and reference page.
Note that references used for your research need to be peer-reviewed/scholarly journals. These journals typically have the following characteristics:
1. articles are reviewed by a panel of experts before they are accepted for publication;
2. articles are written by a scholar or specialist in the field;
3. articles report on original research or experimentation;
4. are often published by professional associations;
5. utilize terminology associated with the discipline.
Topic ideas include: recruiting women and minorities into law enforcement, recruiting and retaining Millennials, implementing body-worn cameras, improving hiring practices and processes, reducing unethical conduct by officers, combating the opioid epidemic, improving community relations, implementing community-oriented policing, addressing increasing rates of suicide among officers, etc.