Judicial Activism or Restraint
A hotly debated issue in recent years has involved judicial restraint verses judicial activism.
1. Describe these two judicial philosophies & explain their differences.
2. Is one philosophy always preferable to the other? or should circumstances determine the use of one philosophy over the other? Is judicial activism sometimes necessary?
Helpful Links on Judicial activism and restraint:
3. Explain the history of Civil Rights in the United States.
4. Next, explain what the ramifications were of the Supreme Courts 1954 decision in Brown vs Board of Education. How did this expand civil rights in the US
5. Finally, explain the importance of the 1964 Civil Rights Act and the 1965 Voting Rights Act.
6. Explain how women have gained substantial protection against discrimination through laws and court cases.
7. Then, using the links below explains why some women believe that there is still significant work to be done in expanding civil rights?