PLEASE FOLLOW ALL OF MY INSTRUCTIONS
Please answer two(2) of the following questions. Reply to at least one fellow students post.
Think about the following as you answer your questions:
“Childhood” may be analyzed as a “narrative” or”plot” in the cultural text that our society tell us and that we tell ourselves about what its like to be a child. ” Iconic” children are cultural shorthand/memes which structure our ideas concerning the imagery of “childhood”. The Dystopic fiction you have read reveals certain aspects or structures shaping this plot in 1962, 1993 or 2008 . Since both Utopias and Dystopias are exaggerations or parodies of reality they can be used to subvert, question or dismantle cultural texts. Think about what aspect of “childhood” as an ideal your novel is questioning?
1) Discuss the role played by “iconic” children in defining personal and commercial images of “a child”. What role does Shirley Temple play in the narrative of “Bright Eyes”? How does she reflect the aspirations and fears of America in 1934? What about Bart Simpson in 1989? How about the protagonist of your young adult dystopian novel? What popular culture icons influenced your self-image as a child? .
2) Which approach to the meaning of fairy tales in childhood do you favor- Darnton’s or Bettelheim’s and why?
3) Looking at the traditional “Cinderelle” text(see What to Read Unit 6) and cartoons(What to Watch) focus on the means by which “gender” is performed in all three. Review Nanci Kahan’s article(Unit 4-What to Read e-reserves) For this question I will define “gender” as the culturally imposed binary structure reflecting biological differences between the sexes. List gender difference in the three versions of Cinderella and contextualize why, in your opinion, this is so.
*** Please ONLY USE these video links:
– Betty Boop Cinderella: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bdlWyazXhsA
– Walt Disney’s Cinderella: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DBVqWSWPxlg
– Simpson’s Episode: Copy link below> It takes you to Youtube.com version “The Simpsons https://youtu.be/Aqs34acrwt0
– Shirley Temple: Copy link below. It will take you to Youtube.com version of Shirley Temple film “Bright Eyes”
***PLEASE WATCH ALL VIDEOS AND ANSWER ONLY TWO QUESTIONS!!***
***DO NOT USE ANY OUTSIDE RESOURCES OR I WILL GIVE YOU A BAD RATING AND NOT PAY!!