Note: Many of the same guidelines and structural format from Essays 1 and 2 are repeated here. Since you have practice with both the MLA and the APA Style, this time you’ll choose which documentation style works best for your topic.
How will you determine which documentation style to choose? Be sure to consult the very first paragraph of Ch. 11 and the first paragraph of Ch. 12 to help you determine which style is more appropriate for your topic.
1. Incorporate at least 8 reputable sources into your general essay. Three (3) of these 8 will be audio/visual sources, and five will be sources that you quote, paraphrase, or summarize just like we’ve done in the previous two essays. Therefore, you will have 8 sources on your Works Cited or References page.
2. Use a variety of sources (at least 3 types). Choose from the following types of sources:
Online databases (Ebsco, SIRS, Infotrac, Infobase, CQ Researcher)
Reputable Online Source such as Google Advanced or Google Scholar. You can check Pew Research too
Recent books and pamphlets
You will be graded on your use of a variety of these types of sources. Using ONLY websites is NOT an option. Using ALL EBSCOhost is NOT an option, etc.
Make sure your sources support your specific points and do not simply touch on your broad topic in general. The research sources are used to enhance and strengthen your arguments and explanations.
THIS IS WHY IT IS SO VERY IMPORTANT TO WRITE A WELL-DEVELOPED ESSAY USING YOUR OWN WORDS, THOUGHTS, AND OBSERVATIONS BEFORE ADDING RESEARCH.
3. Use a combination of direct quoting and either summarizing or paraphrasing for text sources. Direct quoting should be reserved for statistics or a unique quote from an expert.
NOTE: YOU ARE USING EITHER THE MLA OR THE APA STYLE THIS TIME. BE SURE TO REVIEW ALL GUIDELINES LEARNED IN PREVIOUS MODULES.
4. Self-edit using the Self-Editing Guide.
5. After youve edited your own paper, fix as many mistakes as you can.
6. Ask me as many questions as
7. After I give you advice, submit your final copy to the Dropbox.
PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT AN ESSAY WITH LESS THAN FIVE WHOLE PAGES, OR BETTER YET, ON TO THE SIXTH PAGE.
IF YOU SUBMIT A PAPER THAT IS LESS THAN 5 WHOLE PAGES OF TEXT (NOT COUNTING VISUALS) OR USES FEWER THAN FIVE SOURCES, YOU WILL BE GIVEN HALF CREDIT AT THE MOST!! BE CAREFUL THIS TIME. The increase in length is due to the addition of visuals that might take up space in your essay.
IF YOU SUBMIT A PAPER THAT USES THE FIRST PERSON (ANY FORM OF I OR YOU) IN THE BODY OR ANY CONTRACTIONS IN THE BODY, YOU WILL GET A 10% DEDUCTION.